Revisiting the Antikythera Mechanism Emulator
Over the past few weeks I updated the Antikythera mechanism emulator I built in 2007. I was preparing for an invited talk on the subject, which I'll give at the 2009 USENIX Annual Technical Conference, and for this I wanted to include in the emulator the new findings recently published in Nature.
This update includes the following changes.
- Incorporation of the Olympiad dial and gears n3 and o1.
- An update of the Sun and Moon eclipse labels according to the newest findings of the Antikythera Mechanism Research Project.
- The introduction of gear ma1 for the calculation of the Moon phase.
- The phase of the Moon display on the front dial.
- The renaming of gear o1 to q1 and q1 to ma1 to keep the software's internal structure in sync with the Nature article's nomenclature.